Our facial skin is the most delicate part that is often exposed to the outer environment of pollution and heat.
And yes, the skin too needs a strong umbrella. Carrying an umbrella will not work, since the harmful radiations of the sun are enough to cause massive damage in the skin layer and underneath many deep layers of the skin.
The skin has to be given a proper shield otherwise constant exposure to the sun may lead to early aging, sunburns, sagging, and wrinkles on the facial skin.
SPF or Sun Protection Formula is thus formulated for the skin to combat the harmful rays of UVA and UVB and protect your facial skin from any sun damage.
How does the SPF work?
The Sun Protection Factor comes in two types.
Generally, they are the UV absorbers and reflectors. The active ingredient in the sunscreen performs such work.
UV absorber chemicals are organic chemicals that absorb the strong UV rays and convert them into low heat. The absorbers are effective in absorbing UV A and UV B parts of the spectrum which are responsible for sunburn and skin cancer.
The rest are called reflectors which contain zinc oxide and titanium oxide which have the tendency to scatter the UV radiations after absorbing.
The SPFs generally come in foams, gels, creams which are especially known as the emulsions carrying the active ingredients.
If you are mostly exposed to sunlight and if you are choosing sunscreen try to choose the “broad spectrum”, say SPF 50 or more.
When and how to apply sunscreens?
Sunscreens applied once are not actually enough. Sunscreen should be applied at regular intervals depending on the SPF levels and your exposure to the heat.
SPF 30 only allows 3% of the heat to be absorbed and the rest 97% to be filtered out. On the other hand, SPF 50 allows 98% of the UV rays to be filtered out absorbing only 2% of the heat.
If you properly apply SPF 30, it would protect your skin 30 times better or 300 minutes longer than any unprotected skin. Similarly, SPF would protect your skin for as long as 500 minutes.
If you have long hours of exposure to the sun then SPF 30 and SPF 50 are certainly better options. But say if you are working in a room or you are homebound, low SPF levels such as 15 and 20 would also work.
Applying sunscreens 20 -30 minutes before going out binds well with the skin and works better than applying it immediately before going out.
Try to apply the sunscreen after 30-40 minutes if you feel your face drying up quickly.
Applying it at regular intervals would not harm you, instead, that would protect your skin better and for a longer time. Remember that sunscreens cannot block harmful UV radiations but they can surely screen your skin from burning.
Do not forget to carry your sunscreen before going, if you are going out for a longer time. If you by any chance wash off your face or rub your face, or sweat, do not forget to reapply the sunscreen.
Try to apply the sunscreen layer by layer and spread it on the exposed areas of the skin every two hours.
Here are some of the best sunscreens you can use in your day-to-day life.
Sunscreens suitable for your skin type
If you have oily skin, you should buy sunscreens that would give you a matte finish, sweatproof, non-greasy, and would give a super light texture. This would help you to stay cool and refreshed.
The gel-based sunscreens work great for oily skin texture.
For dry skin, you need to choose a sunscreen that would give both protection and hydration. The moisturizing effect should be a must for such sunscreens.
It is a misconception that sunscreens need to be applied only in summer. But winters also call for the need for sunscreens that would also play the role of a good moisturizer.
Blossom Kochar, Biotique Morning Nectar, St. Botanica Vitamin C are suitable for dry skin types.
These SPF are recommended since they are effective in replenishing moisture and adding glow to the skin.
For normal skin, sunscreen should also be chosen wisely such that your skin gets enough nourishment, protection, one that is long-lasting and which would contain oxidants that would eliminate free radicals of the skin.
Whether you are outside or indoors, your skin needs protection. Because aging, pigmentation, and fine lines are common signs for all skins.
Some of the sunscreens which you can use if you have normal skin are Kaya, Lacto Calamine, and Re’equil.
Hope now you have a better understanding of what kind of sunscreen you need to use based on your requirements.
Whether you have oily skin, normal sensitive skin, or dry skin, the use of sunscreen should be included in your skincare routine.
Your skin needs sufficient nourishment and protection to combat the effects of aging, pigmentation, and sagging.